Skip to Content
Pickup Coaching
-->

You are dropped penniless into a village in the middle of England in the year 1500. How would you make your way to the top?

1 reply [Last post]

You are dropped penniless into a village in the middle of England in the year 1500. You maintain all your current knowledge. How would you make your way to the top?

Howie ReithHowie Reithsinger, entrepreneur

The first order of business is to start growing bread mold and get a place to heat some glassware to 315 degrees (160 Celsius).* I know I'm going to get sick as hell within like, a week, if I'm lucky. I need antibiotics. Once I have those, I have the option of becoming a doctor I suppose. By no means do I have much medical knowledge by 21st century standards, but in the 16th century? I wash my hands, I wouldn't put sick people in the same bed, I know tulips don't protect you from plague (but killing rats does), and I won't be spending time trying to balance humours.

If I am afraid of being accused of being a wizard with my extensive medical knowledge and thus will reserve my antibiotics for personal use, my single greatest advantage is probably the fact I'm literate. That opens many doors for me.

I could start off as a scribe. I will write letters for people and read them.

I am very knowledgeable in The Bible and the history of western religion, especially as compared to your typical 16th century clergyman. I imagine I could get some position in the church.

I have several of Shakespeare's plays memorized and he won't be born for another half a century. So I could write them down. That could get me some renown. People will be most upset if they want more though.

I hear Isaac Newton won't be born for another 150 years or so, so I could invent Calculus and the theory of gravity. Poor Gottfried Leibniz will never have had a chance at all this time around.

That should do it. Being the greatest scientific and literary mind of the 16th century is enough for me. I'm not interested in political power.

*To clarify, the temperature is not for the mold, as this would kill it. It is to sterilize the flask for incubation.

I go in and I'm crisp, clean and my vocals are fucking coming out like music. - Anonymous MW student

- Autismus Terminus Finis (Root Cause/Cure of Autism Epidemic)

- Called Off My Wedding & Other Turn Tail Signs Of The American Male

Tap Or Click For Personal Coaching Information

CreamoftheCrop's picture
This is why knowledge of

This is why knowledge of History is soooo important. Just in case we get a hold of a delorean